Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I'm alive!

Check out my friend Brandi's blog if you want to see some really cute pictures of my kids. She is also my photographer and since I'm TERRIBLE about keeping up to date you can view last year's Easter pics and Favorite Girl's first b-day pics. ADORABLE!!!

I know I have been so terrible at this! So much has happened in this loooong cold winter too. We started the winter off dreading the 15ths (if that's even a word)

December 15th we were in a car accident. I just read my friend Jenni's blog and let's just say I felt the same way she did...if I would have been able to blog about it after it happened I would have used the same profanity she used to describe her awful Monday. Mine happened on a Saturday. The whole family was loaded up in the car headed to Cedar Rapids for the Holiday concert at the Cedar Rapids Symphony. We were minding our own business driving about 55 in a blizzard! Of course my charming, loving husband was sitting in the PASSENGER seat next to me NOT driving saying things like, "you should probably slow down...I'm pretty sure it's getting slick...I see other cars swerving..." Me being the loving, obeying, calm wife that I am...listened to him (for a second) and while "white knuckling" the steering wheel responded, "will you please shut the f* up" (okay because the kids were in the car I did leave out the f* part but I really wanted to say it) "I know how to drive, if I get us in a damn accident you can say I told you so when we are sitting in the ditch, and then you can drive!" And two seconds later that's what happened. Smart wife!

We were heading northbound on 380. A car heading southbound did a complete 360 in their lane. It freaked me out and I slowed down to 55. A car went racing by me going about 75 blaring on his horn. Aaron asked me what that was all about and before I could answer a semi went blazing past me. The wind caught my tail end and I started fish tailing. I tried my hardest to correct it. The car was sliding on a piece of ice. It felt like slow motion and we were about to slam into the side of the semi. Aaron yelled to crank the wheel so we wouldn't hit the semi, I overcompensated and we flew into the ditch. The light reflector on the side of the road scraped up the entire passenger side of the car and took off the passenger side mirror. It was awful. An off duty police officer stopped to help us. He was trying to tell me how to turn the wheels to drive myself out of the ditch. I was so shaken up, I had just watched my life flash before my very eyes, I could hardly breath, Favorite Boy was an absolute wreck. I told Aaron he was going to have to do it. I opened the car door and got out, Aaron got out to walk around to the driver's side. The "off duty police officer" hopped into the drivers seat of our car. Aaron started screaming, "hey get the f* out of our car!" (Unlike me, he went ahead and dropped the f* bomb nice and loud for our children's virgin ears). I thought I was going crazy. Here was this nice guy trying to drive our car out of the ditch for us and Aaron was yelling like a maniac at him. Thankfully the nice guy was really a nice guy and not a lunatic pedophile who could have easily drove off with our children. He drove us out of the ditch and then we were on our way. We were all safe. We were able to have the trailblazer fixed good as new. Our fun filled weekend did not end there. We went to the symphony and then went to Olive Garden to eat.

I forgot about my son's anxiety-belly problems. I have never blogged about this but he pukes every time he eats tomato based things like spaghetti, pizza, ravioli, etc...and has excitement in his life. So he eats a nice big bowl of spaghetti at the Olive Garden, we go home to my Mom's house and he hears me telling someone on the phone about our accident. He went running for the bathroom, but missed and well did his business all over my Mom's white carpet in the doorway of the bathroom and remember it was spaghetti, yippee! So I'm thinking sleep cannot come fast enough. This day has got to be over with and a brand new has got to begin right?

Well the new day starts and we go all the way back home. After we get all packed and settled back in I decide to go downstairs to the family room to wrap presents. Favorite Girl decides to come with me. I was not paying very close attention to my little darling and well she stuck an entire Styrofoam packing peanut up her nose. I don't know how she did it but obviously if it can be done she will find a way and that she did. The week before she stuck two peas up her nose. Aaron and I had become pros at nose surgery with tweezers and toothpicks (which I don't recommend). The tweezers and toothpicks did not work this time and so off to the Emergency room we went. I thought for sure DHS would be coming to visit my home after this but interestingly enough the Doc had fabulous stories to tell about what he has had the pleasure of pulling out of babes noses. Finally at 9:30 pm on Sunday evening we were back home safe and sound.

I know you are dying to know what happened on January 15th. I will tell you tomorrow night.


Sarah Brecht said...

So glad you're back! I love reading your stories. Talk about a crappy winter! Spring cannot get hear any sooner!

Jenni said...

You are cracking me up!! haven't checked your blog in a while. Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad everyone was jus fine. Very scary, I know!!

Great to see you are back in the blog world!

...because we want to keep in touch